How to open and extract tar.bz2 file?
- Under "Select tar.bz2 file to open", click on browse (or your browser equivalent)
- Select the file you wish to extract.
- Click "Extract". It will list the content of the tar.bz2 archive.
- Click the green "Save" button on the individual files to save to your local drive.
- OPTIONAL: Click blue "Preview" button to open directly in the browser. This option only available for some file types.
Would you like to convert it to ZIP file instead?
Click here for TAR.BZ2 to ZIP conversion!
What operating system and browser does ezyZip support?
Ensure you are using the latest version of one of the popular browsers or their variants. (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari).
Please let us know via the feedback form if you have any issues.
What is ezyZip?
Unlike other online archive extraction utilities, ezyZip DOES NOT have file size restrictions or require you to upload / download files to a server. It runs locally as a browser app, thus making it much quicker than other online file extractors. This also ensures your privacy will be protected as no file data will leave your browser.
What is a TAR.BZ2 file?
The tar file is then compressed into a bz2 file, which utilises the Burrows–Wheeler compression algorithm. It does a better job compressing file than older compression formats but is considerably slower.
This method of archiving is commonly used in unix/linux environments to package and distribute software and other files.
A tbz2 is the same file type but with a different file extension.